The SPD Training Division includes the Academy, In-Service Training, the Police Officer Training Program, the Cadet Training Program, and the Citizen Police Academy. The Director of the SPD Training Division and training personnel ensures officers are prepared and educated for their work.
The Training Division is dedicated to equipping officers with up-to-date training, informed on new law enforcement issues, and trained in emerging technology.
In addition, the training division provides new recruits with the skills and education necessary to be effective police officers. The SPD Training Division officers bring a wealth of experience and training to their positions.
Declaration of Principles
- Incorporate the philosophy of Community Policing in all curricula.
- The adoption of a values driven model of police training.
- The integration of training with education. Doing with understanding.
- Training for character.
Commitment to Training
- Increasing available training.
- Increase the total staff.
- Increase the Training budget, including future grant awards.
In-Service Training (samples of things covered)
- Applied Patrol Procedures
- Emergency Vehicle Operation
- First Responder
- Use of Force
- Firearms Training
- Legal Update
Student Officer Training (Academy) Educational model of police training based upon the four components of:
- Community: Community Policing, Problem Solving, Volunteerism, Community Runs History.
- Law: Criminal, Motor Vehicle, and Constitutional.
- Ethics: Professionalism, Integrity, Team building, Fair Access,Public Trust, Safety and Security,Objectivity and Discretion.
- Health and Wellness: Stress Awareness, Police Suicide, Nutrition, and Fitness.
Based on a progressive organization model
- Foundation: Law, Ethics, History
- Formation: Community, Patrol Procedures, Defensive Tactics.
- Application: Applied Patrol Procedures, Role Playing
- Policies and Procedures
Philosophy of Change
"The premise is that people do not change people - environments change people. One needs to change the environment and then assist people in adapting to it. The importance of environment can be demonstrated by the situation. "Sit someone in a dirty room and they will act unkempt. Put someone in a clean room and they will act refined." John Salo 1/17/97